Breaking Free Session 4
by Ashley Mease | August 8, 2016Breaking Free Online Bible Study | Week 4
When Beth Moore asked “how does God want you to respond to what he showed you today?” this was one persons’ written response: “I feel utterly nauseous, tight chest, numbness, pain in my stomach, clenched teeth and physical pain. I’m feeling instant depression and sadness and I have this strong desire to run away and hide.” After writing this I pushed through my discomfort and broke free from generational bondage. I suspect a few of you are noticing similar feelings of discomfort, while others decided to close the book and keep inside your comfort zone.
Change is not comfortable…yet if you do so through prayer and with Jesus beside you, you’ll be thankful when you complete the journey and break free. Don’t hide in your emotions, your addictions or your past. See yourself as God sees you and experience freedom in Christ.
Many of the ruins have been in your family generation for a long time. Satan has been using these ruins to hold your family hostage and keep them from a full relationship with Christ. Did you find any of these while digging into your family archives?
- Sexual Immorality
Satan uses family weakness and generational sin to hold us in captivity. If you don’t recognize and acknowledge the bondage, how can your family ever be set free? What bondage are you passing on to your children and grandchildren? It’s time to re-construct the family tree and sow seeds for the Fruit of the Spirit to thrive. “Accept God’s appointment as a reconstruction worker,” advises Beth Moore.
Assignment For the Week
- What might be a right reason or attitude for looking back at family history, and what would be a wrong reason? (page 80)
- On page 81 Beth Moore says that many of us carry the chains of bondage from pure habit, lack of awareness or lack of Biblical knowledge. Of these three, which most likely keeps you in bondage?
- What did you discover after completing the family diagram on page 82 in your workbook? Did you uncover any generational bondage? Do not share anything that you want to keep private.
- What behavior might you see in your life that you disliked in your parents or grandparents? Do not share anything that you want to keep private. (page 88)
- Knowing that Satan’s priority is to create generational bondage in the life of a Christian, what are you willing to do in your own life to protect future generations of your family?